Thursday, October 20, 2022

Colonial Period week #6 October 27

 Opening:

Song: Fielding
Prayer: Hyrum
Scripture: McKade
Pledge: Melody
Knowledge Share: Josh
Show and Tell: Lauren
Joke of the Day: Tommy
Snack: Vilate 
Treasurer: Talmage
Quiet Toy for Read Aloud: Emma 
 
Read at Home: Read "You Wouldn't Want to Sail on the Mayflower."
   The Witch of Blackbird Pond Chapt ****  DO NOT READ AHEAD!!!
Poem: Review the poems we have learned so far. Finish learning "The Wreckers." Who are the builders in your life? How do they build others? What can you do to be a builder? 

The Wreckers

Carmelo Benvenga

 

I watched them tearing a building down,

A gang of men in a busy town.

With a ho-heave-ho and lusty yell,

They swung a beam and a sidewall fell.

 

I asked the foreman, “Are these men skilled,

As the men you’d hire if you had to build?”

He gave me a laugh and said, “No indeed!

Just common labor is all I need.

 

I can easily wreck in a day or two

What builders have taken a year to do.”

 

And I thought to myself as I went my way,

Which of these two roles have I tried to play?

 

Am I a builder who works with care,

Measuring life by the rule and square?

Am I shaping my deeds by a well-made plan,

Patiently doing the best I can?

 

Or am I a wrecker who walks the town,

Content with the labor of tearing down?


Writing:  Use the handwriting pages in the folder you were given.   Practice writing the scripture. 

Scripture: 

Games: Practice checkers and marbles

Unit project: Finish up your project and be ready to show it off.  Even if it did not turn out exactly how you wanted it to- that's okay!  Also, get your outfit ready!  Please come appropriately dressed for our colonial days party. 

Learn about one of your first ancestors to come to America. What led to his or her decision to move to a new country? How old were they? Did they come alone? Share what you learn.

If you made a Root Beer label please bring it so we can label our brewsky.  I hope it tastes delicious.

Discovery Game: In the folder you were given in class, please read over the first pages.  This is the game we will be playing for the rest of the year.  Please complete Mapping Assignments #1. You might need help with this.  If you do,  please ask your parents or siblings.   Good luck on your next adventure.  Please bring your folder to class each week to play the game.


REMINDER:  We want you to do all the work you are able to do.  You can collect Van-bucks for all the homework you do.  You can earn more Van-bucks when you give us a commercial for any book you finished reading this school year or over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment