Thursday, January 16, 2020

Imaginative Arts/ Language Arts Week 3

IA/LA Week 3

Read/Study:

1.This week we will be having another book club party all about The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig. Make sure you have the book finished because we will try some Polish food and have some fun activities to do together.

2. We will be doing a paint along project! Have you ever wanted to create a fancy painted masterpeice on an artists canvas? Terran Eagar is going to visit our class and teach us how to paint a picture step-by-step. The cool part will be how unique each of our paintings turn out even though we will all follow the same instructions! Make sure to wear something you could get paint on :)

3. Write in your best handwriting in your commonplace book one or all of these passages with your mom.

  The morning it happened--the end of my lovely world--I did not water the lilac bush outside my father's study.
  The time was June 1941 and the place was Vilna, a city in the northeastern corner of Poland. And I was ten years old and took it quite for granted that all over the globe people tended their gardens on such a morning as this. Wars and bombs stopped at the garden gates, happened on the far side of garden walls.

Mother promised to be grateful, but she gave me a long lecture on how I was not to use anything belonging to Nikita--no towel, no soap if there was any--nothing, nothing, did I hear her? With a child's ears I had gone deaf after the first sentence or two, but I said yes, yes,yes, that I had heard her.

I pushed my way through the shivering, shabbily dressed crowd to the lady in the sealskin coat. Close up, she was even more beautiful than I had thought. Her skin had remained fair and incredibly luminous, as if even the ferocious climate, so cruel to other women, had been subdued by this royal creature.

"Who needs you?" they screamed. "Go back to Siberia, you dirty Jews."
  We stopped singing. I remember someone in the car moaning, "Not again, dear God in heaven, not again."
  And I said, "Amen."
  I was frightened and I was bewildered. The Polish people whom I had idolized during the years of my exile, thinking that life among them had been the best that ever could have been, were screaming at us to go back. At that moment, I wished I were back there.

Literary Elements of the Month:

*Musical language - Alliteration- when more than one thing starts with the same sound in a sentence. Think of things like the "whispering wind," something "sweet and simple," or "Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way." When we use the same sound it sounds more interesting and memorable. Can you think of an alliteration? 

*Personification - Check out these examples of personification from yourdictionary.com -- can you guess what personification is by reading these? 
  • Lightning danced across the sky.
  • The wind howled in the night.
  • The car complained as the key was roughly turned in its ignition.
  • Rita heard the last piece of pie calling her name.
  • My alarm clock yells at me to get out of bed every morning.
  • The avalanche devoured anything standing in its way.
  • The door protested as it opened slowly.
  • My house is a friend who protects me.





No comments:

Post a Comment